Today I present you my first sewing project of the year: a luxury satin camisole! I actually sewed it back in December, but I couldn’t blog about it because… it was a Christmas gift! In Spain, the tradition is to receive presents on January 5th at midnight (or January 6th in the morning, if you have enough patience for that!), so I had to keep it in secret until now 😉
About 2 years ago, when I was finishing my Art History degree, I chose an elective course about contemporary Latin-American art, and I discovered a lot of really talented artists! I had heard some things before about the inimitable Frida Kahlo, but names like Orozco, Rivera and Siqueiros were almost new to me (and many, many others!). I learned about the colorful world of the Mexican muralism, its striking imagery and its rich folklore. One of the folkloric elements that those artists used was the “Catrina“, a skull that symbolises the goddess Mictecacihuatl, “The Lady of Death”. (You can see a famous painting by Diego Rivera depicting the Catrina here)
So, the moment I saw this fabric all my student memories came back to me: I could do nothing but buy it! 😉 Isn’t it gorgeous? Now I’m doing the finishing touches to the skirt I’ve made with it (I’ll blog about it soon!) but the left over fabric was still too pretty to throw it away. What could I do? Yes, you’re right: a bra! 😛
As you remember, a few weeks ago I drafted my first underwired bra pattern, the Anita. It fitted well, but wasn’t perfect, so I’ve been modifying the pattern and… looking for an excuse to use this wonderful satin fabric!
During the last weeks I’ve been attending to a Lingerie Course at Rosascrafts, with Lola Mata as teacher. It’s been really fun and I’ve learned a lot of things, while filling my lingerie drawer with hundreds of new bras and panties! 😉
As a final exercise to this first part of the course, we had to reverse engineering a RTW bra. In my case the Chosen One was a H&M soft bra, with a pretty design but some peculiar colours… It was pale pink (like baby-bedroom-pink) trimmed with light BROWN lace. Seriously, brown. I like brown, but, I mean, NOT for lingerie. Not THAT brown paired with THAT pink. (Dear H&M designers, what the **** were you thinking??!)
Anyway, since I didn’t take any photos of “The Thing” (your eyes should thank me), you’ll only have my version of it:
Last week I joined the Bra-A-Week Challenge , organized by Erin. I participated with my Billie Bralette, but I didn’t say a thing here because… I was on holidays! 😀 I really liked the challenge experience: it’s a good way to improve your sewing by practicing week by week, but also a fantastic opportunity for watching other people’s work (and be so, so jealous of them!!) So, this week I’m going to participate with… the Lillian Bra Top!
Today I’ll introduce you to… Billie! *Applause* Billie is my second self-drafted bralette pattern (you can see the first here).
It features a two part cup (made of low stretch satin and lace), a slim band (black mesh) and metallic closure. I used fold over elastic for everything, but next time I’ll try a wider elastic for the band, to make it more supportive. In addition, I’ll line the lower cup in cotton jersey, to make it slightly sturdier and hide the cup seams!
I promised that there was going to be plenty of lacy stuff around this blog. Well… here it is, a little bit of lace! I’ve been drafting the pattern for the panties in the picture, and I’ve just uploaded the pdf. I developed the pattern after a basic brief pattern I sewn during my lingerie course at RosasCraft, taught by Lola Mata (If you’re in Barcelona, you should definitely join in: it’s super fun!).