Hi everyone! Here I go again, pursuing my journey around the worl d of power-bars! This time I’ve tried a different type: the built-in power bar or seamed power bar, in the form of… my Glamorous Satin Bra!
Today I present you my first sewing project of the year: a luxury satin camisole! I actually sewed it back in December, but I couldn’t blog about it because… it was a Christmas gift! In Spain, the tradition is to receive presents on January 5th at midnight (or January 6th in the morning, if you have enough patience for that!), so I had to keep it in secret until now 😉
I’m getting more ‘experimental’ with my cup seams lately: on my last bra, I did a three part cup, and now I’ve tried a vertical seam bra. But I’ve also experimented with fabric: it’s all about satin!
I used grey stretch satin for the frame (lined, to stabilize it), white dotted powermesh for the back and a floral printed satin for the cups (lined with 15 denier). You may recall this printed satin for one of my Me Made May posts: it was the same satin I used for some of my first handmade garments ever, a skirt and a kimono!
The blog has been a bit dead this week! I had TONS of university stuff to do, but now I’m nearly done, so… It’s sewing time!! 😉
During the past few months (when my head wasn’t stuck on books) I’ve been spotting a trend on lingerie design: soft bras with a triangle shaped cut out at the center band. I’ve lots of them in my Pinterest boards, but my favourites are this one, by Playful Promises, and this one, by Kiss Me Deadly (and I love the photo, btw!).
So, I decided to draft and sew my own, inspired by those great designs! Mine, as you can see, features soft satin cups (lined with cotton jersey) with vertical darts, and pale pink powermesh at the wings. I’ve used a black elastic trim for the top of the wings and a wider elastic (about 1/2″) at the bottom band. Also, I’ve reinforced the side seams with casing, and the bra closes at the back with a metallic clasp.
As you remember, a few weeks ago I drafted my first underwired bra pattern, the Anita. It fitted well, but wasn’t perfect, so I’ve been modifying the pattern and… looking for an excuse to use this wonderful satin fabric!
Today I’ll introduce you to… Billie! *Applause* Billie is my second self-drafted bralette pattern (you can see the first here).
It features a two part cup (made of low stretch satin and lace), a slim band (black mesh) and metallic closure. I used fold over elastic for everything, but next time I’ll try a wider elastic for the band, to make it more supportive. In addition, I’ll line the lower cup in cotton jersey, to make it slightly sturdier and hide the cup seams!